Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Humble

Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 1 Peter 5:6

Humble: Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.

When I think of the word humble, I think of a lot of different people. One person has stuck out in my mind since our camp meeting. Ever since I was a small child we have always had these two big chairs sitting on the stage at our camp meeting. Those two seats have always been for the preacher who was preaching and for the general superintendent to sit in.

This camp meeting I would sometimes noticed that our general superintendent Paul Hagen would start the service off by sitting in his assigned seat, but then sometime during service he would get up and move behind the seat and sit on one of the choir pews. He might have thought no one noticed, but I would always see him. Even though Paul is a preacher, he is a quiet man, unless he is preaching. He's not really big on the spot light. Watching him change seats during service, made me realize how humble he is. I don't know if he felt like he was drawing attention to his self by sitting in the big seat, I wish I would have ask him. It made me think that I should not want attention, but I should be humble because eventually God will exalt me in time.

In the photo Paul is the one between the arrows.

No comments: