Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Same

I had recently been thinking about Hebrews 13:8, "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever." One reason that this verse has been in my mind is because my favorite Nascar driver Tony Stewart is switching car numbers and sponsors next year. I'm not a big person on change. So I'm not to thrilled with the new changes that Tony is making, but it made me think that God never changes.

People may change, Bibles may change, and worship services may change, but God never changes. As some of my friends say, I had a God Thing that happened to me last weekend. I had already been thinking about writing a blog about God not changing. Then on Saturday my friend and I were talking and he quoted this verse to me. Then on Sunday when Bro. Thomas signed my Bible he wrote Hebreos (Hebrews) 13:8. Then on Monday morning another person quoted the scripture to me again.

I personally feel that maybe God was telling me by bringing the verse to my mind and through these other people, that he hasn't changed. I wonder sometimes why church can't be the way it use to be. I know I'm not suppose to live in the past, but I love hearing stories about how church services use to be like. So what has changed??? We have already established that God hasn't changed. Here are a few things that come to mind that cause us not to be so involved in church. We have so much materiel things to keep our minds occupied and other places to go. Years ago all people had to do was work and go to church, times were simpler. We have also gained too much knowledge, knowledge isn't a bad thing, but some people try to make things harder to understand. Before I end this post I want to leave you with one more verse.

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace... 1 Corinthians 14:33

2 comments:

Kristi said...

One thing too, you mentioned in your first paragraph...BIBLE. People keep messin' with the Bible. They don't like what's in it, so they change it. It's easier to live in the comfort zone, when the "bible" says it's ok.

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

This post makes me think of the dc Talk song, Nu Thang:

My God is doin a brand nu thang,
But, since time began, he remains the same.
Faithful, forever to his word,
And solid, a cornerstone unstirred.


You got me in a jammin' mood. I'll have to break out my tape that has that song on it. LOL